Monday, January 2, 2012

Boston Cream Donut Holes

I want to share with you this genius creation of a confection, with fried dough, pudding filling, and chocolate glaze.*

Except I can't figure out how to spell it.

Boston Cream Doughnuts

Boston Creme Donuts

Boston Kreme Donuts

Any ideas?? Help me out, people!!



I made them a few weeks ago for a party and just couldn't get stop thinking about the fried goodness. 


But this time I decided to take it to another level and do a scientifically sound, dr. country mouse-designed double-blind study to determine the optimal dough to filling ratio.  


Ok just kidding. How in the world could I make placebo donuts? That's just silly. Gosh we're getting off topic.  But I did want to test a few different shapes. You know, "Honey I do have to eat all these donuts, it's for the sake of science!"


And for the sake of science, I devised this glorious method for delivering the filling goodness without getting messy. I like to call it "Bottle o' Puddin'". I think it might catch on as a third condiment to go on restaurant tables next to mustard and ketchup. How amazing would that be??


Answer: not quite as fabulously amazing as boston cream donut holes. Pop-in-your-mouth fried goodness. The perfect cream-filling-to-dough-ratio. Extra cute with rainbow sprinkles. If only I hadn't eaten them ALL....**sad face**

*Disclaimer- I did not invent boston creme donuts. Duh. I don't know who did. But you can read all about the history of the Boston Cream Pie here.

Boston Cream Donuts

Donut recipe adapted from Allrecipes

2 tablespoons dry yeast
2 cups lukewarm milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/3 cup oil
5-5.5 cups white flour

1 quart (about 1 liter) oil for frying (you may not need it all)

Mix yeast, milk, and sugar. Let sit for 10 mins till nice and bubbly. Add eggs, mix. Add flour, salt, oil, then mix. Cover and let rise till doubled. It may be pretty sticky at this point. Don't add more flour- it will make your donuts tough, and not light and airy. When you roll them out, you can add more flour.

Punch down and roll out 1/2" (1.75 cm) thick. If it's sticky, try rolling out with minimal flour between two sheets of parchment paper. Less flour is more here, folks! Cut large donuts or donut holes. I don't recommend strips- they turned out sort of weird. Let rise an additional 20  mins.

Heat several inches of oil in a DEEP skillet to 325-350F. The temperature is really important here, so I highly recommend getting a candy thermometer and using it. Fry until golden brown on each side.

Let cool, then fill with instant vanilla pudding. Yes, I cheated.

Chocolate glaze:

3 T butter
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
2 T milk
2 cups confectioners sugar

melt butter and choco chips. Add milk. Add sugar until you have a thick but pourable glaze. You  may not need the full 2 cups. Spoon over donuts. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment