Friday, August 19, 2011

The way to a man's heart

I was all ready to write about the amazing fruit store I found nearby, but after today's breakfast I just couldn't help myself.

My family bought me a mini waffle pan when I passed my thesis defense. Kind of a sneaky gift, dontcha think? It's like when I bought my husband an espresso machine... I think I probably end up drinking more coffee than him. And with the waffles, they don't even have to make them!

At first I was skeptical that waffles this small could be satisfying, or that they would even come out of the pan in tact.



Sometimes it's good to be wrong.

So, this morning, instead of our usual Friday morning pancake extravaganza, I whipped up a batch of my favorite waffle recipe from the Settlement Cook Book.




Can we just take a moment to talk about how awesome this cookbook is? Now, as much as I am Liberated Woman with kids and a PhD and a career and all, it just cracks me up to cook from a book that proclaims itself as "The way to a man's heart." And the recipes in this book are damn good, too.

Having only male humans in my house, I can't say what the way to a woman's heart is. But as far as men go, the book is spot on.

The waffles came out cute, with plenty of nooks and crannies to catch syrup. Their edges may not be as well defined as with the traditional two-sided waffle iron, but I think that's something we can live with.



Butter + waffles + syrup = Friday morning bliss. Sorry pancakes, we may never see you again.



Settlement Cookbook Waffles

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs, separated
2 cups milk
4-6 tablespoons butter, melted

Beat egg whites until stiff. In a separate bowl, mix egg yolks and milk. Add dry ingredients and stir just until incorporated. Add melted butter. (yes, you do need this much butter so that it doesn't stick to the pan). Fold egg whites in gently.

Cook in your waffle iron of choice until lightly browned on both sides.




No comments:

Post a Comment