Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pear Brie Tart

Hi there, universe.

You and I have been a bit at odds lately. First there was traveling internationally with two kids under the age of 5. Why-oh-why do they not sell kids benadryl in my country? To all the nice people on our flights, stop giving me death looks. I don't want to be around my kids on a plane any more than you do.

Then there was wedding hullabaloo and nonstop in-laws. And a trip to the ER with our obscure traveler's insurance.

And that was just the beginning.

In short, universe, you have taken the last ounce of my energy and motivation and I simply cannot whip up a culinary masterpiece. But I sure can throw together a fancy schmancy tart that looks and tastes divine and takes all of 5 minutes in prep. Ready? Go.




Grab a bunch of pears (4 American sized, or about 7 of the weensy Israeli kind) and slice them VERY thinly.

Defrost some puff pastry and press it in the bottom of a pie pan.



Take an entire, yes a whole package of brie. I think they weigh 100g but don't hold me to that. Cut it up in thin strips and smush it on the bottom of the crust so that it covers as much surface area as possible. Arrange the pear slices as in the picture.

Take about 3T brown sugar and dissolve it in 1/4 c brandy. Resist the urge to just drink it down and call it a day. I promise it will taste better on the tart. At least it will with the kind of brandy that I buy. Drizzle on top of your pears.

Bake for 40 minutes at 375 F. The cheese will bubble up and your kitchen will smell like divinity. You will thank me profusely and decide that the universe is a habitable place, after all. Try waiting 20 mins after it comes out for all the brandy juices to settle. Just try. (*Full disclosure- take my professional word for it, alcohol never boils out 100% when cooking. I usually consider this a good thing. Want the full low-down? Just ask.)


Then enjoy. Serve it for an appetizer. Or a European-style dessert. Or dive in and devour it before anyone else notices.

Enjoy! I'm off to eat the most delicious kind of dinner ever- someone else's cooking.

Until next time,

-Country Mouse

3 comments:

  1. Bless you. If this is what you make when the universe is not treating you well...
    The arranging is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. this looks amazing! can you give step by step instructions how to get that design?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I don't have any step-by-step photos. Basically you start at the outside and work in. First you closely pack overlapping pear slivers around the edge. Then you take pear slices one by one and make concentric rings in which the cut edge is pressed into the brie and the skin faces up. Each ring is staggered with respect to the previous one, so that it looks like a rose. The last few layers have to be made with really thin pear slices so that you can fold them enough to fit. Does that make any sense at all?? I think I am not destined to be a technical writer. ;)

    ReplyDelete