Sunday, November 20, 2011

Monster Cookies

This week I went to visit my sister at school. These days whenever I go anywhere, I am pretty much expected to bring some baked goods. Which is fine, really, except my pesky little sister has a really pesky milk allergy. Like, goes into shock if she eats even the tiniest bit of milk. And what baked goods can one possibly make without dairy?



Even more importantly, why are all margarine brands in this country made with milk?? Seriously, people!


Thank goodness for the local kosher food mart. Otherwise I don't know how you non-dairy people survive. 

Enough talking. Let's make some non-dairy monster cookies. What are monster cookies, you ask? Delicious heaven that will make you eat a dozen cookies before you go visit your sister and then stress about whether or not you've brought enough for the ravenous college monsters.

Mix margarine (1 stick, 1/2 cup), sugars (1 cup brown and 1 cup regular), salt (1/2 teaspoon), vanilla (tsp), crunchy peanut butter (1.5 cups) and eggs (3). Looks like heaven, right?


Then add oatmeal (4.5 cups) and baking powder (2 teaspoons). I'm not actually sure the baking powder is necessary. If you make it without baking powder and it is still really awesome, report back, okie dokie?


Here is the good part. Grab lots of treats from your pantry and add 3/4 cup of each. I used mini non-dairy chocolate chips, fake m&ms, and mini marshmallows. I was a bit nervous about the marshmallows, but believe me they melted into gooey toasted goodness and made the already most awesome cookies even more delicious. Trust me, here.


This recipe makes about 5 dozen normal sized-cookies or 3 dozen jumbo ones. Be careful, since they spread out quite a bit when baking.

Bake about 8 minutes at 375F. Enjoy! These cookies were GONE in about a millisecond. Pesky college kids!


If you want the printable, original recipe from the cookie queen, sugarbelle, click on the link. Her candy add-ins are much more interesting than mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment